20131111

The Big Apple


New York City has my heart.
It's like that song on the radio that comes on and blind sides you. Before you know it your heart is swelling with emotion.  Your mind follows, trying to put the pieces together, and then...you remember.
Nastalgia.
Associations are pretty rad--connecting memories with specific places, smells, sights, sounds.  I will always associate New York with falling in love with my husband.  We visited while we were dating and although marriage had been a topic of discussion for quite a while, it was here that all fears were put aside.  Our unofficial engagement. 
Going back to that place over three years later, I was surprised to find it saturated with all of those newfangled emotions and memories.
I am in love with east coast foliage.  Really, it is a sexy beast.  So is that man pushing the stroller.  :) ^^



I fail when it comes to taking pictures on trips.  I get so lost in the moment i forget to whip out the big ol' thing.  Because lets face it...I'm a bit of a spaz.  When I'm having unique experiences, I'm like a kid in a candy store.  Grace?  What is that?  (Those are the moments I know Grandma L. is rolling over in her grave :) So, I'm posting some phone pics.  
^Whispering sweet nothings into the secret corners of Grand Central. ^

I love that in New York you can be amoung the hustle and bustle of city life and then, a few blocks down the road you are in a beautiful serene park that has managed to dround out all of the annoyances of the busy streets.  
We were there during the anniversary of 9/11.  There was a reverence around the city that day. And while I can remember where I was, what I was doing, and how I felt when the attacks happened twelve years ago, for the first time, I imagined what it must have felt like for the people right here.  In New York.  The fear, the sorrow, the intense vulnerability. I can't begin to comprehend it.  But I imagined the coming together and the outreach of love and healing that took place in the days and even years that followed.  Everything I thought it was in my own reality is nothing compared to the reality of it's presense here, in NY. 
I love this country. We are strong and we are brave.  God is looking out for us.





5 comments:

  1. Great post. I love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I bet it brought back so many memories and I'm so glad you guys got to go. Beautiful pictures love the perspective you caught of New York.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the whispering at grand central, you can do that at st pauls london

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I want to see London! It's at the top of my list.

      Delete